python 2.3.2 hangs when returning an int

omission9 omission9 at invalid.email.info
Wed Feb 25 02:02:46 EST 2004

  >>By eliminating the instance in the function that was being called I
>>eliminated the problem. BIZARRE!! What made this so awful was that it
>>took many many iterations of these functions to generate the error. I
>>have no idea why it didn't blow the first, say, hundred times through.
>

> Do you have any real idea why it did blow eventually?

If by "real idea" you mean something more concrete than the vague
handwaving in my last post, no. ;)

>>Maybe if I ever get the motivation I'll attach a C debugger to the
>>whole thing and look deeper into the guts.
>

> That sounds inevitable, alas.  You changed something that appeared to make
> your immediate problem go away, but you left it there without pushing on to
> an understanding of the true cause.  Such bugs always return, IME.
>
> it's-more-a-matter-of-work-than-of-desire-ly y'rs  - tim

Actually, this is for my employer so its more a matter of having the
"powers that be" deciding how I should spend my time. Debugging
something which is, at face value, "fixed" is not on the list.
Yeah, it may have just been pushed off to some far far edge of the user
experience but that is not necessarily all that awful. Remember how a pc
running Win98(or was it 95?) would crash *no matter what* if left on for
something like 48 days straight? I'll get around to it at some point if
it resurfaces but proper project management would really dictate not
spending much of a developer's time on a problem that occurs less than
1% of the time, if at all.