PyKDE/PyQT/SIP

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Mon Feb 16 02:59:14 EST 2004

Jim Bublitz <jbublitzno at spamnwinternet.com> wrote in message news:<LuFXb.26744$PR4.2729088102 at twister2.starband.net>...
> Sam wrote:
>
> > ImportError: libpython2.3.so.1.0: cannot open shared object
> > file: No such file or directory
>
> I'm not sure what this error is, but libkdeuicmodule should be
> looking for libpythonize.so.1.0, which should be in /usr/lib and
> symlinked some other places.

Isn't the problem really about the availability of the Python shared
library? I haven't checked to see if the .so file actually gets
produced in the Python 2.3.x installation process, but I do remember
having to manually create one for Python 2.2.3 on my system. It isn't
a big job to perform on Linux-based systems, but I can't remember the
appropriate magic command plus options - extended exposure to libtool
has made me jaded.

> PyKDE-3.8 was a pretty crappy release as far as installation goes
> (it works great if you can get it installed though).

It wasn't so bad. ;-) Although the low memory installation option
("-c-" or whatever it is) didn't work as advertised, causing my laptop
with "only" 128MB to work for 36 hours before I noticed what had
happened. But once up and running, there's some very nice stuff there
that I wish I had more time to experiment with.

Paul

P.S. Although I do know someone who has had time to do a bit more with
PyKDE. ;-)