2.3 encoding parsing bug

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Wed Feb 18 17:35:03 EST 2004

Edward,

It's unfortunate that you didn't contribute to the discussion
of PEP 263, which was created in June 2001[1], mentioned on
comp.lang.python.announce/python-announce at python.org as early as August
2001[2], discussed on comp.lang.python/python-list at python.org back in
February 2002[3], available as a patch in March 2002[4], and present
in the Python CVS around August 2002[5].  Alpha releases of Python
(including binary releases for Windows) with the feature were available
on December 31, 2002[6].  Leo, on the other hand, added support for its
own encoding cookie on January 21, 2002[7].  The fatal (for LEO) dot
in the regular expression was added on February 28, 2002[8].  I didn't
find a thread that explains why this was done, but I believe it was to
support encodings like 'japanese.sjis'[9]

Since dotted encodings reflect a namespace hierarchy, ones with trailing
dots are nonsense.  It seems to me that the easiest fix for this problem
would be to ignore a trailing dot, if it is present in the encoding
cookie.  I'm at least +1/2 on that idea.