DeprecationWarning: Non-ASCII character '\xc0'

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Feb 6 17:52:13 EST 2004

    ahsan> "__main__:1: DeprecationWarning: Non-ASCII character '\xc0' in file
    ahsan> trans.py on line 11, but no encoding declared; see
    ahsan> http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for details"

    ahsan> I am not sure what encoding to use. I am not sure where to look. I
    ahsan> picked one out of the documentation. Here is what I used:
    ahsan> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

Looks like the data you posted was encoded as iso-8859-1 (aka, latin-1), so
I suggest you use:

    # -*- coding: iso-8859-1 -*-

as your coding comment.

    ahsan> Questions:
    ahsan> 1) Is there a list I can pick the encoding from?

Look at the filenames in the encodings package (part of the standard
distribution).

    ahsan> 2) How can I find more about encoding?

Pick and choose from the results in found in these googlings:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=encoding+site:www.python.org
    http://www.google.com/search?q=unicode+site:www.python.org

Skip