C API: NULL tstate

Patrick Stinson ajole-1 at gci.net
Fri Feb 13 06:31:11 EST 2004

I am using sip to generate python bindings for my c++ library. sip is also
used to generate python bindings for the Qt Gui toolkit. The PyEval_*Thread
and PyThreadState_* seem to end up with a NULL tstate parameter at different
points of execution when I start instantiating more complicated sip-wrapped
widget classes along with my own multi-threaded library. At one point, I
moved the thread creation code into python (by causing it to simply call a
method in my library to execute the thread), and it helped a bit.

I'm obviously not looking for help with sip, but it would be nice to get a
general overview of what conditions cause a NULL tstate to be passed to
these
functions. I've posted a few messages on the sip mailing list about this,
but
the problem seems a little too biased toward the scope of this list for any
of them to answer.

Cheers!