How does Ruby compare to Python?? How good is DESIGN of Ruby compared to Python?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Wed Feb 25 17:58:43 EST 2004

In article <c1h1sb$1it26i$1 at ID-169208.news.uni-berlin.de>,
Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) <wmwd2zz02 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
			.
		[much good counsel]
			.
			.
>Ruby code is liberally sprinkled with @-signs, which tends to
>make it look slightly Perl-ish. But again that's a surface
>issue, and Ruby is really no more like Perl than Python is.
			.
			.
			.
While I'm all in favor of distinguishing superficial from
fundamental characteristics, I think the last sentence
above is misleading.  Ruby is a direct descendant from
Perl, I'm sure; I thought I had the word from Matz himself
that he deliberately modeled a great deal of Ruby on Perl
(and Smalltalk, of course).  Although I can't find the
passage now, I'm confident enough to repeat it here.  If
necessary, I expect we can confirm the language's parentage.

If you're saying that good Ruby style often differs from
good Perl 5 style, I heartily agree.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net