package similar to XML::Simple

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Feb 11 12:43:30 EST 2004

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> Peter Hansen wrote:
> >>If a parser prints a message "not a valid 8-bit XML character", then it
> >>can't be an XML parser. XML does not have a notion even remotely related
> >>to "8-bit characters".
> >

> > Aren't we talking about semantics now, and rather tritely at that?
>
> Not at all. This message indicates a lack of understanding of basic
> principles of XML on the side of the authors of this error message.

You missed the point I was trying to make Martin, though perhaps it
is clear now from other messages.

Basically, if I tried to write an XML parser, and distributed it as
such, and you found that it didn't handle this use case, you would
be somewhat unfair to write an article claiming that my XML parser was
in fact not an XML parser.  It has a bug in it, that's all.  I'd fix it!

The fact that the PyRXP maintainers have apparently refused to fix this
problem *does* justify the complaint Uche is making, and I support him
in that now.  I wasn't aware that anyone had even tried reporting the
problem in the first place and was objection to an apparent overreaction.

If the presence of a bug in a program means that one cannot label the
program as being what it is intended to be, then all software would have
to be released with disclaimers like "this is supposed to be a Python
interpreter, and might be someday, but isn't yet because there are some
rare cases where it doesn't correctly interpret Python".

-still-waiting-for-a-real-python-interpreter-to-be-released-ly y'rs,
 Peter