YAML config file parser

Peter Maas fpetermaas at netscape.net
Thu Feb 12 14:28:44 EST 2004

Hi,

currently I'm trying to create a pgsql backend for the roundup issue
tracker using the mysql backend as a template (is somebody aware of
such a thing? I couldn't find one). The author has written a config.py
as many authors do. From the programmer's perspective this is a satis-
factory solution: he can use his favourite language and put complex
structures into the configuration. From the sysadmin's perspective this
is not so satisfactory: he would prefer a common configuration format
for his system. To please both one would need a serialization format
and api that

- allows the programmer to easily describe the program configuration,
- is manageable by configuration programs for less experienced users,
- is easily readable and writable with text editors

About 3 years ago Brian Ingerson made a proposal
http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=7378365&list=12303
to use YAML for config files. That seems to be a good idea. It would
meet all specs above. Python currently has a ConfigParser for Windows
style .ini files which doesn't seem to be very popular. I have never
seen a Python project using it. What about adding a conf module that
uses YAML formatted files and provides similar convenience for programmers
as 'import config'? It should be part of Python's core distribution
otherwise it wouldn't be widely used. Any comments?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Peter Maas

Peter Maas, M+R Infosysteme, D-52070 Aachen, Hubert-Wienen-Str. 24
Tel +49-241-93878-0 Fax +49-241-93878-20 eMail peter.maas at mplusr.de