Python Productivity Gain?

Harry George harry.g.george at boeing.com
Thu Feb 19 03:20:15 EST 2004

corey.coughlin at attbi.com (Corey Coughlin) writes:

> It is a difficult problem, but I don't think it's completely
> insurmountable.  Take some programmers right out of school, or just a
> general population of people, give them training in language X for a
> fixed period of time, set them up to perform some task, and see how
> long it takes them.  Sure, some of them will be better programmers
> than others, but with a large enough sample population you should be
> able to draw some conclusions on the average, if there is an effect to
> be measured.  And yes, the bigger the population, the better the
> results, so it would be fairly expensive to conduct, but still, you
> could draw conclusions.  Getting funding would be tricky, though,
> that's a given.

It is common for a ComSci prof or grad student to crank up such a
study, using undergrad and grad students as the subjects.  These
subjects can generally be coerced to participate ("it is required for
the course").  For "novice programmer" research, high school students
are often used.  These tend to be self-selected, and ar not
representative for the general population.

So it is possible to set up such an experiment, and even to attend to
all the statistical niceties.  The problem is that the experimental
model fails to match reality in other ways.

For example, real world teams have usually solved interpersonal
pecking orders and courting rituals before the coding starts.  They
have domain knowledge beyond reading a (possibly fake) case study.
They have well-honed development environments, and may have existing
sets of unittests.  Their requirements/directions are subject to major
changes in midstream.

These conditions are hard to duplicate in a short term academic
settings.  They cannot be solved by larger sample size.  That's why I
suggest that "lab research" is not ready for prime time in this field.

Some researchers have gone out in the field to use working teams.
Others retrospectively examine past projects.  These have the flavor
of "field research".

harry.g.george at boeing.com
6-6M21 BCA CompArch Design Engineering
Phone: (425) 342-0007