Distutils: compilation of generated code.

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Tue Feb 24 09:41:02 EST 2004

I am using a Python program to generate the C++ source code of an
extension module in a package which is managed by distutils. What's
the best way to instruct distutils to re-generate the code before
compiling it, if and only if the generation program is newer than the
generated code ?

[Yes, I am aware that something like cog
http://www.nedbatchelder.com/code/cog/index.html offers an alternative
approach, but, for mainly political reasons, the package cannot depend
on anything not in the standard Python distribution.]