tkinter, threads and asyncore together

george.trojan at noaa.gov george.trojan at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 11 14:11:58 EST 2004

My application consists of Tkinter GUI that has to communicate with a
remote
server. The communication is bi-directional: the GUI responds to remote
requests and user actions uch as pressing a button) should send messages

to the server. I want to have the network interface implemented as a
separate
thread, as it may take a while to proccess incoming messages. My initial
approach is the following

 ------   Queue   --------------------
|      | <------ |      asyncore      |        socket
| GUI  |    ?    |dispatcher_with_send| <------------------>  server

My question is how to communicate with asyncore (to send a message, or
end the thread)? I started with creating an additional dispatcher class
using unix domain socket, but is seems wrong, why use sockets within the
same process? I might try file_dispatcher around a pipe, but maybe I
should use different design altogether.

George