How to start a DTS Package on MS-SQL-Server?

Dirk Hagemann usenet at mail-2-me.com
Thu Feb 5 10:28:30 EST 2004

Jarek Zgoda <jzgoda at gazeta.usun.pl> wrote in message news:<bvfnr4$2lr$1 at nemesis.news.tpi.pl>...
> Dirk <usenet at mail-2-me.com> pisze:
>
> > Sorry, I think I forgot to write that I want to start this from a remote
> > computer. So I can't simply use popen. But I know about this dtsrun
> > executable (that's how the sql-server does it itself...).
>
> This can be painful... Try to schedule your package and look at
> "Operating system comand" field in scheduled job properties. You will
> get the idea on how packages are run by dtsrun.exe.
>
> The other idea worth exploring is "MS OLE DB Provider for DTS Packages"
> -- loosely documented component of any contemporary (>2.5) MDAC package.
> When I needed to run packages from my program, I had no time to dig in
> MSDN, so I cann't say anything more.

I think I got it:
To execute a DTS package saved as a COM-structured storage file, use:
dtsrun /Ffilename /Npackage_name /Mpackage_password
To execute a DTS package saved in the SQL Server msdb database, use:
dtsrun /Sserver_name /Uuser_nName /Ppassword /Npackage_name
/Mpackage-password
To execute a DTS package saved in Repository, use:
dtsrun /Sserver_name /Uuser_nName /RRepository_nName /Ppassword
/Npackage_name /Mpackage-password

I found this in "Online-Books" of MS-SQL-Server 7.0.

I'll try this now and if it doesn't work I will just schedule the
DTS-Package.

Dirk