Python Productivity Gain?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Feb 20 17:36:35 EST 2004

Scott David Daniels wrote:

> Robert Brewer wrote:
>
> > Gerrit wrote:
> > ... 17 to go.
> Actually I've seen two 17's, so I'll skip 16.
>
> Machine, Assembly(>8), Fortran(I,II,IV,V), Snobol, Lisp,
> Algol, Simscript, SAIL, Interlisp, Smalltalk, C, YACC/LEX/FLEX,
> SLOE (microcode), Pascal, Class-C, Oz, C++, LML, Scheme, SQL,
> Python.

All right, machine language!  Was that with actual toggle input, or
were you hand-translating from assembly and entering hex on a keypad?
I remember being able to write small print routines on the Commodores
in straight machine language... hmm..  A9 80 20 FF D2 40 anyone? :-)

(I don't recall what $80 did when it printed, and I think RTS was maybe
60 instead of 40.  20 was a JSR as I recall, with FFD2 being the
print char routine.  Or something like that... probably all wrong and
what I wrote above would erase the hard drive or something!)

> 15 to go.

I think I saw two 18s as well, so you're probably around 14 or 13. :-)

-Peter