software design question

Lothar Scholz llothar at web.de
Sun Feb 8 11:18:06 EST 2004

Uwe Mayer <merkosh at hadiko.de> wrote in message news:<c057uq$4ph$1 at news.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>...

> Almost. I want to write software from components.

Components must try to reduce their dependencies. So your design may
not be the best one.

> Having a single global name space is poor software design.

No absolutely not. There are Programs with millions of lines written
in C that are good designed and reliable software.
Having a common prefix is nothing else then using namespaces.

> Do you think there is a reason why in Java every class got to be put into
> one source file - or is this just a bad language restriction?

This has to do with dynamic loading. Nothing else.

But maybe more constructive:

In my software (Eiffel) i have a CORE_MANAGER class that has objects
like EDITOR, COMPILER  etc. This are facade patterns to the
subsystems. I also have EDITOR_BRIDGE, COMPILER_BRIDGE classes.  The
editor provides its functionality to the outside world only with this
class and can use only the services found in the EDITOR_BRIDGE object.

The CORE_MANAGER class now sets up the editor or some editor mock
object if the editor is not used.

This requires quite a lot of glue code but i'm now able to switch
independent subsystems on and off. So i could split my 250.000 lines
program into 8 optional subsystems.