[ANN] Atox 0.2 released

Richard James rmb25612 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 14 17:44:30 EST 2004

> Although the indentation functionality works well, it is still a bit
> experimental. Feedback is appreciated on how it might be expanded (or
> modified) to be of more practical use.

Great, another MLH abandoned Python project like NOGUI err... ANYGUI.

Sorry if I sound like a bitter and angry Python troll :)

Magnus has done some very good Python work and I enjoy reading and
learning from his writings.

But, I wasted a lot of valuable time and credibility trying to sell
NOGUI uh... ANYGUI for in house rapid MS Windows gui development to my
boss and co-workers.

I don't know how many times I said: I'm sure the next release is just
around the corner. And it will run on ANY gui that our customers have
installed!!!!!

We didn't need a full blown bells and whistles gui, just simple
buttons, checkboxes, textboxes and such to quickly satisfy our
customers silly little needs. They were scared of messing with the
command line stuff. And we couldn't afford to waste a half a week's
time writing and debugging a custom MS Windows gui that they would
want changed the very next week.

So we ended up using the g4c.pyd from Gui4Cli...

http://www.gui4cli.com/

You can write some very compact and sweet native MS Windows guis with
Gui4Cli.
Plus the Gui4Cli script language can be changed independent of the
program source saving hours and hours of time.

But I have digressed from the XML topic.

Before I invest in another MLH (or anybody's "NEW") Python programming
paradigm I have the following questions:

1: Is yet another XML method really better than just using Python's
"industry standard" XML methods? Am I wasting my time going down a
dead end?

2: Is this code going to be FULLY supported in the future? Like the
problems with Python 2.2 BSD DB vs Python 2.3 BSD DB changes.

3: Does this code violate ANY potential Microsoft XML software patents
in the news this last week? And should we just fagedaboudit when it
comes to using XML in anything other than MS compatible products?

4: Does Python need to establish an offical "registered" project
ranking system? ( F = Not supported, D = Experimental, C = In
development, B = Mature Limited support, A = Full on going Python
language support ) I suppose checking on PyPi is kind of being safe.
But I need to know if XYZ module has a staff of 15 full time
programmers working on it or just kid hacker Billy on his mom's PC
after school. The "professional" look of the Webpage sort of gives you
a clue, but not always. wxPython, while very well supported, has a
weekend hacker feel to it's webpage, when compared to Zope's all pro
webpage.

(P.S. They still make fun of me about "my" NOGUI um... ANYGUI faux
pax.)

-- R.J.