detecting the operating system

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Sat Feb 28 17:34:26 EST 2004

Checking sys.platform is easy enough. I use it to figure out if I'm
running on Linux or Windows. For Linux I take the users home directory
to put files in. In Windows I check the registry to find out the
location of My Documents and then save files there. Checking the Windows
registry is a little more work but can make your programs work quite
nicely in Windows.