python vs. perl

Chris Herborth chrish at cryptocard.com
Mon Feb 16 08:12:37 EST 2004

Patio87 wrote:

>     Hi I was wondering which was better for doing stuff like, GUI programs, and
> gaming, and maybe even network stuff for games? I know python and am learning
> c++, but because of ease of use I want to know which is better, because I might
> want to drop python and go to perl. Unless Im swayed to stay with
> python......AM I missing out on anything by not knowing perl?

Personally, I prefer Python, C#, and C++ (in that order, usually; depends on
what I'm doing, what platforms I want to support, etc.) for programming.  I
find Perl hard to read, despite several attempts to dig into the language.

What I _have_ been using Perl for over the last, oh, 7+ years, is complex
search and replace... it makes a fantastic sed replacement.

Over the last 9 years, I've been working mostly in SGML and XML, and having
a killer search/replace tool really makes life easier for tweaking things in
documents.

The SGML and XML processing tools have always been written in Python though.

Right too for the job, YMMV, etc. ;-)

Chris Herborth                                     chrish at cryptocard.com
Documentation Overlord, CRYPTOCard Corp.      http://www.cryptocard.com/
Never send a monster to do the work of an evil scientist.