Beginners list of Python donloads - please review

Sridhar R sridharinfinity at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 06:25:54 EST 2004

   Also check the FAQs in www.python.org

> I running Windows XP Pro and wanted to download Python and any additional
> tools I should consider using as I get going...

  If you're using GNU/Linux, most of them would be installed
_by_default_ !

> 1 - Python-2.3.3.exe from www.Python.org
> 2 - win32all, a collection of Windows-specific extensions including COM
> support and Pythonwin, an IDE built using Windows components from Mark
> Hammond's
> 3 - Py2exe from http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/index.html
> 4 - PythonCard from http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/
> 5 - WxPython from http://www.wxpython.org/

   You shouldn't forget PyGTK (http://pygtk.org).  Also try,
http://gnome.glade.org
search google for windows version of glade and pygtk
GTK is IMO the best Toolkit.  I (and others) also feel that wxWindows
(and thus wxPython) is buggy.  So you're just warned.  But go and
learn them.

> 6 - Python Docs from http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.3/
> 7 - Beginners Guide to Python from http://www.python.org/topics/learn/
> (various options here)
>
> Please suggest additions or deletions.

  No deletions.  But there are/may be lot of additions. Google for
python to get enormous links.  Enter the query like

[ python -monty ]