opinion for newbie code

robsom no.mail at no.mail.it
Sat Feb 14 19:56:25 EST 2004

I have strings of like this:
"one          two : three four     ;\n"
and I want to put them into lists using ":" as delimeter but I have to
get rid of all the spaces and other not necessary characters, like this:
list = ["onetwo", "threefour"]

so I wrote the following code, which works, but I have a couple of
questions:

1. for line in fin.readlines():
2.	eq = []
3.	row = line.replace(" ","").replace(";","").replace("\n","").split(":")
4.	# ...
5.	# other code
6.	# result of the code are three lists A, B, C
7.	# which I want to put into a single list L = ['A','B','C']
8.	# ...
9.	L.append(A)
10.	L.append(B)
11.	L.append(C)

Question n.1: what do you think of statement number 3? it works but I
kind of suspect it is not the best way to do it.

Question n.2: on line 9-11 I add my three lists (A, B, C) to the L list
using three append instructions. Is there another way to do the same
thing, i.e. to add more than one element to a list with a single
instruction?
thanks