Tab expansion problem or ..?

Tony C cappy2112 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 14:43:43 EST 2004

> > for line in fhIn:
> >   if 'HEXNUM' in line.expandtabs():
> >     Hexloc = line.find('HEXNUM')
> >     print"\n%s" % line[:Hexloc]
> >

> You are throwing away the result of line.expandtabs() in the above code.
> Therefore the expansion effects neither the printed line nor the Hexloc
> index. It should rather be (untested)
>
> for line in fhIn:
>     if "HEXNUM" in line:
>         line = line.expandtabs()
>         Hexloc = line.find("HEXNUM")
>         print "\n%s" % line[:Hexloc]

In my *actual* code, I am storing the result from expandtabs()
I was away from the computer where my sources were, so I just typed in
a quick
example- but overlooked storeing the result from expantabs().

That being said, I still don't understand why the index returned from
find()does not give me the correct offset into the string, where the
label HeXNUM is.