pychecker should be mentioned in every tutorial [Re: How to avoid "f.close" (no parens) bug?]

DH no at spam.edu
Wed Feb 11 14:59:19 EST 2004

>     Stephen> I've just spent several very frustrating hours tracking down a
>     Stephen> bug in one of my programs.  The problem was that I was writing
>     Stephen> text to a file, and when I was done I coded
>
>     Stephen>    f.close
>
>     Stephen> when I should have been coding
>
>     Stephen>    f.close()
>
>     Stephen> with the parentheses.
>
>     Stephen> In any event, does anybody have any suggestions for how a coder
>     Stephen> could avoid making such a mistake, or detect it quickly?
>
> Pychecker would probably have warned about this.  Given this four-line file:

There are numerous common mistakes people making when coding in Python
that the compiler doesn't catch.  Case-sensitive errors, errors in
indenting, etc.

I think PyChecker ( http://pychecker.sf.net/ ) should be mentioned in
every beginner tutorial, and should be integrated with every Python IDE.
  Before you type anything, type "import pychecker.checker"