self-extracting installators in Python?

Nazgul lubowiecka at go2.pl
Tue Feb 3 15:04:21 EST 2004

Hi!

I want to implement a small tool in Python for distributing "patches" and I
need Your advice. This application should be able to package all files
chosen by a user into a self-extracting.exe so that when you click on it, it
will extract the files and run setup.exe which among the other will copy
these files into respective folders (the absolute paths could be written in
some config file). Of course the files should be extracted first to a
temporary directory and wiped out after use (the setup will copy them into
respective folders).
I know Python offers a zipfile module to play with ZIP file formats but I am
not sure if it enables creating self-extracting archives too. And what about
"configuring" the archive to run immediately a setup file after extracting
the files? So my question is: is that possible in Python?

I will be grateful for any hints!

Thank You in advance,

Niki