Another opportunity for improvement? (was: Python Productivity Gain?)

Paul Rubin http
Wed Feb 18 16:29:51 EST 2004

claird at lairds.com (Cameron Laird) writes:
> >So my current favourites are Perl for CGI and Python for
> >cross-platform, scriptable-GUI stuff.
>
> What are Perl's advantages for CGI?  Is the Perl language intrinsically
> superior for that work, or do you favor the convenience of specific
> libraries, or do you mean something different by "CGI" than what I have
> in mind, or ...?

Perl has a much deeper set of runtime packages available through CPAN,
including stuff like Perl-DBI.  The Perl language also has a nifty
"tainting" feature, which helps catch security bugs.  Maybe something
like that can be added to PyPy (the new Python implementation under
development) sometime.