Learning Python on jEdit

Sean Ross sross at connectmail.carleton.ca
Mon Feb 23 20:24:00 EST 2004

"Jarek Zgoda" <jzgoda at gazeta.usun.pl> wrote in message
news:c1dlp0$r11$5 at nemesis.news.tpi.pl...
[snip]
> jEdit detects file type by extension, so Python syntax highlighting
> will not work until you save the file with py or pyw extension.

Actually you can set the edit mode manually as well:

http://www.jedit.org/users-guide/modes.html#mode-selection

"""
The edit mode can be specified manually as well. The current buffer's edit
mode can be set on a one-time basis in the Utilities>Buffer Options dialog
box;
"""

Plus you can set the default edit mode to python, so that when you create a
new file it's already in python-mode.

Ray:

You may want to use the plug-in manager[1] to get the console plug-in so you
can run your programs from within the IDE. You may also appreciate the
Jython plug-in. Peronally, I like having the BufferTabs plug-in as well. I
actually tend to use Komodo for Python, but I have jEdit installed for
programming in several other languages and I'm pretty happy with it. Enjoy.

Sean

[1] http://www.jedit.org/users-guide/using-plugins.html