OT: PHP as a general language (was Re: where does Python stand?)

Joe Mason joe at notcharles.ca
Sun Feb 8 11:33:10 EST 2004

In article <Xns94892CEE6B3D3JanC at 213.119.4.35>, JanC wrote:
> Joe Mason <joe at notcharles.ca> schreef:
>
>> I was just looking for a way to run PHP as a general script, actually
>> (it'd be much easier to debug extensions than having to load a web page
>> through Apache every time).  But I can't find a standalone interpreter
>> on my system (Debian stable) - all the php packages just hook into
>> Apache.  Do you know where I can find a standalone PHP?
>
> This might be useful:
><http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.commandline.php>

Hmm, I just realized the message I sent out a few days ago (about an
hour after my original post, actually) never showed up.  It turns out
that on Debian, the php4 package contains all the framework needed to
run PHP from Apache, but the actual command-line interpreter is in
php4-cgi.  Which is just... confusing.

Thanks everyone for the replies, though.

Joe