Python Productivity Gain?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Feb 16 09:29:57 EST 2004

William Park wrote:

> It used to be that Python programs were shorter, faster, readable,
> writable, and simply better.  But, this was during the days when most
> programmers had Unix background.  Nowdays, most of the programmers are
> coming from Windows background, and Python programs have become as
> verbose and unreadable as Visual Basic or Perl.
>
> Ruby has not been corrupted as such.  It make complicated thing less
> complicated.  But, it still make simply thing not as simple as Python.

With all respect, William, this sounds to me like a big stinking pile
of rubbish.  Do you have *any* factual basis for the claims you are
making?

In my opinion, the Unix background of a programmer would, if anything,
tend to increase the likelihood of the code being unreadable (Perl, after
all, comes from that neck of the woods), but I really think it much
more likely that the OS background has little to do with it.  Python
itself is what is different, and what produces more readable code,
and the Python community encourages and directs that trend.

As for "most programmers are coming from Windows background" I suspect
that too is very debatable.

-Peter