wxWindows changes name

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Wed Feb 25 07:08:27 EST 2004

KG> 1. The X window systems name is not "X Windows", it is simply
KG> 'X' or 'X11' . Just alot of people wrongly call it Xwindows.

I know. Therefore I said "often referred to as XWindows".
But in fact that could arouse Microsofts anger, so that they also might
attack the name 'X Window System'.
By the way, I think just X or X11 isn't an official name either. And
especially X is now confusing with Mac OS X around.

KG> 2. I'm not defending MS in anyway, but if one doesn't
KG> defend it's trade mark it will become non defendable
KG> and you must defend it against all, not pick and choose.
KG> Hell, look at what Harley Davidson's done in tha last
KG> couple of years. Trademarked/patented everything including
KG> the sound of thier scooters and they're defending it rigorously.
KG> Just try to open a motorcycle shop called something like "Hog Heaven" or
KG> anything with the name "Hog" in it and see how long before
KG> you get a letter, before the grand opening I'd bet.

The point is that "Windows" isn't a trademark, or at least shouldn't be
because it's too generic. "MS Windows" or "Microsoft Windows", OK.
The same was the case with DOS: many people called MS-DOS just "DOS",
although there were other DOSses around.

I think they shouldn't be allowed to hijack the name "Windows". And neither
"Word" or "Office" for that matter.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum at hccnet.nl