newbie with a gui question

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-benfinney-does-too.id.au
Tue Feb 3 22:38:49 EST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:34:02 -0900, niekko wrote:

(corrected your top-posting; please don't do it.)

> Ben Finney wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 17:57:16 -0900, niekko wrote:
>> > I wrote a program for a class and now have to make a gui for it.
>> Possibly the course material?  I'd expect that your assignment is to
>> employ the methods that have been taught to you.
>
> That's just it, the course material is "go out and find it on the
> 'net."  I've got several books on Python and none of them help will
> building this gui.

Sounds like a bit of a cop-out (on the part of your school); there are
many ways to build a GUI for Python applications.

> Can someone get me started, at least??

Python has, for a long time, come with the Tkinter module, allowing you
to build GUIs with the cross-platform Tk toolkit.

    <http://www.python.org/topics/tkinter/>

However, Tk widgets are fairly ugly and primitive; a very popular
alternative is wxPython, which uses to the cross-platform wxWindows
toolkit.

    <http://www.wxpython.org/>

--
 \     "No wonder I'm all confused; one of my parents was a woman, the |
  `\                          other was a man."  -- Ashleigh Brilliant |