python vs. perl

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Thu Feb 12 19:28:22 EST 2004

In article <402BFAFA.70A476F5 at engcorp.com>,
Peter Hansen  <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
>Patio87 wrote:
>>
>>     Hi I was wondering which was better for doing stuff like, GUI
>programs, and
>> gaming, and maybe even network stuff for games? I know python and am learning
>> c++, but because of ease of use I want to know which is better,
>because I might
>> want to drop python and go to perl. Unless Im swayed to stay with
>> python......AM I missing out on anything by not knowing perl?
>
>Use Google to find what must be dozens of comparisons that have already been
>written on this topic.  Try keyword combinations like "python perl comparison"
>and you'll get more opinions than you're likely to want to read.
>
>-Peter

While both Perl and Python are indeed roughly comparable in many
ways, and both have active, even vibrant, developer communities,
it's particularly difficult to argue that Perl has significant
advantages in GUI construction or game scripting; those are two
notable domains where Python's lead is clear.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net