where should config files go in Windows?

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Mon Feb 2 13:46:27 EST 2004

I'm writing a cross-platform app. Presently it runs on unix and MacOS X,
but eventually I'd like to get it working on Windows (nothing older than
2000).

For unix and MacOS X I store settings in ~/.TUIPrefs and ~/.TUIGeom and
allow extensions to be stored in ~/TUIAdditions/ and <app's parent
dir>/TUIAdditions/.

Is the home dir easily accessible from vanilla Python (and if so, how do
I get there)? Is there a better directory (I'm really not keen to mess
with the registry) or some special add-on library that I'll need?

Also, is there something simple like unix's leading "." that makes
Windows files invisible?

Any help appreciated. I tried google and found this topic discussed
several years ago, but the answers were confusing and didn't seem to
apply to current Windows.

-- Russell