Fast File Input

Scott Brady Drummonds scott.b.drummonds.nospam at intel.com
Wed Feb 25 11:35:43 EST 2004

Hi, everyone,

I'm a relative novice to Python and am trying to reduce the processing time
for a very large text file that I am reading into my Python script.  I'm
currently reading each line one at a time (readline()), stripping the
leading and trailing whitespace (strip()) and splitting it's delimited data
(split()).  For my large input files, this text processing is taking many
hours.

If I were working in C, I'd consider using a lower level I/O library,
minimizing text processing, and reducing memory redundancy.  However, I have
no idea at all what to do to optimize this process in Python.

Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

--
Remove ".nospam" from the user ID in my e-mail to reply via e-mail.