Had Phyton suggested

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk at shore.net
Sun Feb 8 15:26:15 EST 2004

Steve Horsley <shoot at the.moon> writes:

> At the risk of making a lot of python fans angry, I would also suggest
> that you look at java. This IS a compiled language (although
> ironically, the compiled bytecode is interpreted).

Same as Python.

Actually, difference between an interpreter and a compiler is pretty
blurred.  Let's see: a compiler compiles to machine code which is
interpreted by the microcode engine in the processor etc. ad infinitum.

> I suggest this for a few reasons: * You cannot really avoid thinking
> in an object-oriented way when writing java.

This is not an advantage.

> I suspect that python will allow you to develop some very nasyt
> habits.

For example?  Surely you don't mean programming in a functional style
when that is optimal as opposed to always using objects?

> * The java tutorial is massive, and has loads of examples.

This is not an advantage.  One of the features of Python is how simple
a relatively complete tutorial can be.

> * I have not seen anything like BlueJ for python. BlueJ is an
> excellent beginners IDE with editor, debugger, and a UML-like
> diagram that shows how your classes interconnect.

This is pretty cool.  It reminds me a lot of Python's IDLE in its
approach and target audience.  BlueJ's debugger is slightly more
capable than IDLE's is, and IDLE doesn't have the UML representation
of classes (though there is Bicycle Repair Man) which is deeply
integrated into BlueJ.

I'll be looking more closely at this; thanks for the reference!
--
KBK