package similar to XML::Simple

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Feb 10 15:13:40 EST 2004

Brian Quinlan wrote:

> Peter Hansen wrote:
> > > I have no problem with the existence of PyRXP. It just isn't an XML
> > > parser.
> >
> > Then there are very few XML parsers in the world, if one includes, say,
> > namespaces and validation as part of XML.
>
> An XML parser must be able to parse all (1) well-formed XML documents. The
> W3C XML recommendation provides a definition for well-formed XML documents,
> and can be found here:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/
>
> (1) I'll quality this a bit since the size of XML documents is unbounded
>     and computer resources are.

Okay, granted.  I'll withdraw my comments.  I read too much into
Uche Ogbuji's objections, thinking he had problems with PyRXP on more
fronts than just the character entities question.  If that's the only
defect in PyRXP, I suspect it's still somewhat ahead of a lot of other
"XML parsers" anyway, though clearly imperfect and arguably not yet
deserving of the label "XML parser".

I wonder whether this has been reported as a bug to Reportlab, however.
Maybe they simply didn't happen to have a test case that covered that
particular use of the parser... and they might be happy to fix it.

-Peter