Gripe: Use Ctrl-D (i.e. EOF) to exit

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Feb 23 16:28:36 EST 2004

Mike Maxwell wrote:

> <vent> I see there has been traffic over the years on this gripe, so just
> let me vent my frustration, and add another reason why 'exit' (or possibly
> exit() or quit() or halt() or some such) should exit Python, rather than
> giving the ridiculous msg
>
>     Use Ctrl-D (i.e. EOF) to exit.
>
> The additional reason is that God intended Ctrl-D to be "scroll down", as in
> vi.

Interesting... so God didn't write the ASCII standard, obviously:

ctrl-D 4   EOT   END OF TRANSMISSION
A transmission control character used to indicate the conclusion of the transmission of one or more texts..

(From http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars/c0.html, for example.)

Why anyone would think that ought to be translated as "down" rather than
"I'm done, bye" is unclear to me.

-Peter