GUI application death catcher?

Douglas Alan nessus at mit.edu
Thu Feb 19 18:29:41 EST 2004

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:

> This sounds a lot like you are writing this without proper unit tests.
> If that's true, and if you really have to run this on a Windows machine,
> then god help you...

I do do unit tests, but unit tests for GUI code and I/O are not so
easy.

> Go with something really really simple, and if you want to take a
> stab at a more sophisticated (read complicated) arrangement, at
> least put it inside the really simple handler that you write first
> and test really well.

Sure, but really, really simple is nothing more than a pop-up saying,
"The program died", and that's not much more useful than if the app
just disappears, or puts up one of the indecipherable-to-the-layperson
dialog boxes that Tkinter likes to put up when there's an uncaught
exception.