package similar to XML::Simple

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Feb 10 16:29:26 EST 2004

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> Peter Hansen wrote:
>
> > See my reply to Brian Q...  I can accept that, but read more into Uche's
> > objection than he probably meant.  It now seems rather over the top to
> > write an article lambasting the product for something that would normally
> > just be considered a simple bug/defect in the software, unless the
> > maintainers have in effect refused to fix it.
>
> If a parser prints a message "not a valid 8-bit XML character", then it
> can't be an XML parser. XML does not have a notion even remotely related
> to "8-bit characters".

Aren't we talking about semantics now, and rather tritely at that?  So
don't call it an XML parser, yet.  Wait until it no longer emits that
message, whatever you want.  I'd call that throwing out the baby with the
bath-water, if it means (a) nobody reports that as a bug, and (b) someone
who could benefit from it even with that defect fails to do so because
it's illegal and immoral to label it an "XML parser", much as it might
want to be one, until it's perfect.

-Peter