Publish/Subscribe Lib for Python?

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Sat Feb 28 05:39:12 EST 2004

    Adrian> Does anyone know of a framework or library that will
    Adrian> enable me to use publish/subscribe comms?  I want to
    Adrian> create a server (using Python) running on a Unix box that
    Adrian> will accept client connections (from GUIs built with
    Adrian> wxPython) and publish realtime data updates to them.  Any
    Adrian> advice on where to start?

This is easy w/o any special libraries, if it is indeed all you have
to do.

Some options:

- Clients open TCP socket to server as a "subscription", server dumps
  all the changes to all the connected TCP sockets.

- Clients register their host, port addrs with server, server sends
  updates to all the subscribed clients in UDP packets.

- UDP broadcasts might work too, haven't tried it.

Or, you could use something like CORBA (omniORB) for more complicated
scenarios.

Googling also revealed:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/81614

But beware: OSE, which that recipe relies on, seems to be licensed
under QPL.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb