6 Qustions about Python: Does it do GUI? more...

Andres Rosado-Sepulveda arosado at softhome.net
Fri Feb 13 11:33:04 EST 2004

John Roth wrote:

> "Will" <k4bda at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.11.1076682913.31398.python-list at python.org...
>
>>I just discovered Python and looked briefly at one of the tutorials
>>for beginners...
>>
>>It looks a lot like the old Command line Basic... I'm sure it does
>>much more but...
>>
>>1 - Can you create windows, buttons, user input fields, etc as you
>>can with Visual Basic?
>

> Yes and no. Yes, you can use one of several GUI toolkits
> (an interface to TK comes with Python) to construct user
> interfaces. No, it does not have the ease of drag and drop
> building UI and data base programs that VB does.

There are several GUI builders around (wxGlade, for example) but they
are still under develpment.

[snip]
>>5 - Does it come with a compiler or must the user have the
>>interpreter on their machine?
>

> No compiler, but there are ways of avoiding having to install
> the interpreter as a separate step.

If this is a huge concern for you, check the freezing modules.

>>I'm interested as I never really took the time to become much of a C
>>programmer (or C++ or Visual C) - I've done lot's of assembly
>>language/embedded processor stuff & years ago Basic and some Visual
>>Basic... before .net... and wondered if Python would do me for some
>>projects I have always wanted to do?
>

> Unless they are really unusual projectes, most likely.

Like embedded processor stuff.

--
Andres Rosado
Email: andresr at despammed.com
ICQ: 66750646
AIM: pantear
Homepage: http://andres980.tripod.com/

A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of Nature.
         -- Ralph Waldo Emerson