Some language proposals.

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Feb 25 07:19:57 EST 2004

Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> writes:

> "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:
>
> > Nested functions are much rarer than unnested.  Needing to rebind an
> > outer local, rather than merely read or mutate, is rarer still.
>
> Chicken and Egg.
>
> Sapir-Whorf.

Possibly.  Also see Paul's response.

> I sumbit to you that read-only closures are rare in Python because
> they are a recent addition to the language.

Actually, I think uses of nested scopes are fairly common -- in test
suites!  It was writing test cases that motivated us to implement them
for PyPy...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Guido (like us!) is a bit schizophrenic here: he wants to be a
  benevolent dictator, but also wants to treat people like