Beginners list of Python donloads - please review

Stephen Horne steve at ninereeds.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Feb 14 12:49:59 EST 2004

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:35:47 GMT, "Will" <wstandley at netpv.com> wrote:

>I running Windows XP Pro and wanted to download Python and any additional
>tools I should consider using as I get going...
>
>3 - Py2exe from http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/index.html

Py2exe strikes me as probably unnecessary for a beginner. It's more
something to use when you're distributing a final program, and even
then there are arguments against this approach as well as for it.

Of course beginners may be reassured just to know it's there if they
need it.

>6 - Python Docs from http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.3/

Aren't the Python Docs included in the main Python distribution?

For more advanced beginners (if that isn't a contradiction <g>) who
are interested in C/C++ interoperability, you might want to list...

http://www.swig.org/
  Simplified Wrapper and Interface Generator - automatic generation of
  wrapper code to link C/C++ and Python (or a range of other
  languages).

http://www.boost.org/
  Boost C++ libraries, including Boost C++, for extending and
  embedding Python.

http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python/Pyrex/
  If you want to write an extension module more as an optimisation
  rather than for interoperability, Pyrex is basically a compiled
  language with near-Python syntax, which can make a huge difference
  for some types of code.

--
Steve Horne