Async Client with 1K connections?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Feb 10 11:41:37 EST 2004

Paul Rubin wrote:

> williamichang at hotmail.com (William Chang) writes:
> > I need extremely efficient and robust _client_ software for some
> > common protocols like HTTP and POP3, supporting 1,000 simultaneous
> > independent connections and commensurate network throughput.  The data
> > get written to files or sockets, so no GUI needed.
> >
> > I am not a Python programmer :-( but I am a "fan" :-) and I have been
> > reading about asyncore/Medusa/Twisted -- which would be my best bet?
>
> Seriously, I'd probably use asyncore since it's the simplest.  Twisted
> is more flexible but maybe you don't need that.

I agree Twisted is more flexible, but having tried both I'd argue that
it is also simpler.  I was able to get farther, faster, just by following
the simple examples (e.g. http://www.twistedmatrix.com/documents/howto/clients)
on the web site than I was with asyncore.  I also found the source
_much_ cleaner and more readable when it came time to look there as well.

-Peter