different string representation (buffer gap)

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at nospam.uci.edu
Tue Feb 3 22:43:24 EST 2004

[snip]

My advice: find some pre-existing editor component and adapt it to suit
your needs.  Writing an editor component, whether it be for a GUI or
console, is a pain in the ass.

If you are looking for a GUI editor component, stick with wxPython and
the wxStyledTextCtrl, it is a binding to the fabulous scintilla editing
component: http://scintilla.org

I have no advice for a console editor, but I would suggest you take a
look at curses or ncurses, whichever one is the open source version.

Once you have that thing embedded in your application, the rest should
basically write itself.  How do I know?  Because I wrote an editor with
it myself: http://pype.sourceforge.net

  - Josiah