Thoughts about Python

b-blochl bblochl2 at compuserve.de
Tue Feb 24 12:49:47 EST 2004

Terry Reedy schrieb:

>"b-blochl" <bblochl2 at compuserve.de> wrote in message
>news:403B4963.4060303 at compuserve.de...
>

>><Marco Aschwanden> PPNTWIMBXFFC at spammotel.com:  "Thoughts about Python"
>>

>>I find your Thoughts about Python very interesting and valuable. I agree
>>in many of your arguments.
>>

>He mostly presented not arguments but unsupported ideas.  Most are based on
>misunderstandings with obvious flaws to experienced Pythoneers.
>

>>I would recommend you to post your  thoughts directly to
>>guido at python.org.
>>

>NO! Do not do this.  Guido is already way too busy to have such stuff
>imposed on him.
>Posting here was exactly the right thing to do.
>

>>Guido is the source for a possible change.
>>

>Actually most ideas come from someone else.  Small fixes and changes often
>get approved by one of the other developers.  Important decisions by Guido
>require a PEP or patch and usually discussion on the developers list.
>
>Terry J. Reedy

I apologize for my mistake!

Indeed I found some discussion threads to the different points by
checking the python.org-search. Especially the differences to JAVA and
C++ was obviously discussed at about 2001. I will study the expressed
arguments carefully and try to compare the different concepts. I also
will try to read the developers discussion threads - I have not found
yet. Hopefully I am convinced afterwards.
But befor the proof of the Discussion threads: Sometimes ideas may also
be interesting? For instance to make something static by a simple
keyword static?  (An Argumrnt that counts may be, the very simple use of
it and the explaining of concept free of syntax bloat for introductory
lectures to programming?)  But there may be a reason, that there is not
such a concept in python - I may find it.

Again, sorry for my ignorance!

Bernhard