help! multi-threading problem on hyperthreading smp linux server

Simon Wittber drconrad at metaplay.com.au
Tue Feb 10 21:08:39 EST 2004

Gary Wrote:
-----------------
...has anyone run into problems like this, or have any clues what the
problem might be?  we pushed pretty hard on a skeptical project manager
to get python and webware accepted for this project, and it's
embarrassing to have it acting flaky.

I had similar problems with our multi-threaded network application. The
solution is simply to not use threads. We are now using a forking, multi
process server in place of threads. Preliminary testing indicates that a
multi-process architecture scales much better than a multi-threaded
approach, so I am happy with this decision.

Simonw.