Python Productivity Gain?

Corey Coughlin corey.coughlin at attbi.com
Wed Feb 18 14:48:33 EST 2004

It is a difficult problem, but I don't think it's completely
insurmountable.  Take some programmers right out of school, or just a
general population of people, give them training in language X for a
fixed period of time, set them up to perform some task, and see how
long it takes them.  Sure, some of them will be better programmers
than others, but with a large enough sample population you should be
able to draw some conclusions on the average, if there is an effect to
be measured.  And yes, the bigger the population, the better the
results, so it would be fairly expensive to conduct, but still, you
could draw conclusions.  Getting funding would be tricky, though,
that's a given.