Is MVC architecture applicable for web environment??

Kevin Dahlhausen kdahlhaus at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 26 12:43:08 EST 2004

This caused me a lot of frustation when I moved to a java development
house.  What  most people call MVC in relation to web based apps is
not what the traditional MVC is in the sense of OWL, Fresco, and the
like.  ( I've noticed in the java world that pundits tend to grasp a
concept, skew it, and promote it.)

People are actually referring to the common notion of a layered model
where there's a domain or persistence layer, 'controller' code that
manages flow of the pages and marshalling and unmarshalling web-form
data to domain objects, and a 'view' layer that is often the
templating system or server-pages.

It works well enough, especially on larger projects, I just wish it
were called something other than MVC.