Python scripts in IIS

Gandalf gandalf at geochemsource.com
Tue Feb 24 13:32:30 EST 2004

Jon Cosby wrote:

>"Scott F" <sdfATexpertuneDOTcom> wrote
>

>>>Sorry. It's in the browser window. The script does not execute. I
>>>have "Show friendly http error messages" set to false in Internet
>>>Explorer. As it happens on all of the scripts, I can't single out
>>>one command. I have ActiveState's build of Python 2.3, and don't
>>>recall running into this previously, but there might be something
>>>in the IIS configuration I'm overlooking.
>>>

>>Go to the Properties of the (Default) Web site, Home Directory tab,
>>Configuration button.  On the Mappings tab, add a mapping for Python in
>>the form
>>
>><pathtopython>\python.exe %s %s
>>
>>Use your actual pathtopython and don't substitute anything for %s %s.
>>
>>Should work fine.
>>

>Thanks. I had left out the trailing arguments. What is "%s" for, anyway?
>
>Jon

Sorry, I just read this message. I did not the beginning of this thread.
Jon, why don't you register
Python as an ActiveX scripting language? You can download and install
pywin32 extensions:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

then you can run this script:

site-packages\win32comext\axscript\client\pyscript.py

This will register Python as an ActiveX scripting language.
Then you can create an ASP page like this (index.asp):

<%@ Language=Python %>
<%
lst = [0,1,2,3]
Response.write(str(lst))
%>

I think it is better (and faster) to use Python as an ActiveX scripting
language then to use it as a CGI program.
Best,