package similar to XML::Simple

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Feb 10 11:35:32 EST 2004

Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> Pierre N <pierren at mac.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.904.1075287732.12720.python-list at python.org>...
> > I'm using pyRXP, and it's great.
> > It's using one tuple, not dictionnaries.
> > Very very fast.
> > By the way I'm just starting using this package, anybody met any
> > problems with pyRXP?
>
> I did.  It's not an XML parser :-(.  It does not accept character
> entities such as … (the example that bit me), giving meaningless
> "error" messages along the lines: "not a valid 8-bit XML character".
> If you need an XML parser, use PyRXPU, which comes in ReportLab CVS
> only.  It is not as fast as PyRXP, but conformant in my testing, and
> the point of XML is conformance, not speed at all costs.  If you want
> speed at all costs, use CSV or some other plain text format.

Hmm... so it's your opinion that *all* XML parsers must handle *all*
aspects of XML?  If not, I think you should back off on the criticism
of PyRXP as being "not an XML parser" and simply point out that it
doesn't handle all aspects of XML because it is intended to provide
a very fast/heavily optimized approach to parsing only certain kinds
of XML.  It's a valid choice to do so, though of course if PyRXP is
promoted as a "full" XML solution that might be inaccurate.

-Peter