Perl 6: every concept known to computers is in there

Nicolas Fleury nid_oizo at yahoo.com_remove_the_
Fri Feb 20 18:03:30 EST 2004

Wayne Folta wrote:
> I usually like enormous languages, but it looks to me like there's so
> much in v6 that language practitioners will separate into
> mutually-incomprehensible dialects. For example, subroutine calls have
> added 6 or 8 new symbols and feature every possible combination of
> subroutine argument variants (positional, keyword, optional, mandatory,
> variable-length, etc). Regular expressions have a class-like mechanism
> for defining grammars. Regular expressions have been jerked all around
> symbol-wise in what looks like a game of musical chairs.  (See refs at
> end.)

I think gramar definitions is a big plus.  I program mainly in Python,
but Perl is still my choice for heavy parsing.  The fact that regexp are
now named rules is a fact that Perl6 is focusing on what Perl is doing
better: parsing.  Personally, I would prefer Perl to Lex/Yacc.

> I'd love to see something like:
>
>    def  "aa - bb":
>     return [a for a in aa if a not in bb]
>
> (the body may or may not be correct, it's the def that I'm talking
> about). This would handle infix, prefix, and suffix all with the same
> notation. (Maybe even "circumfix" which I'd never heard used until I
> read perl v6's docs.)

I prefer the statu quo.  It's an even more flexible syntax since you can
do more that syntax overloading.  An how would you get a reference to
that function without a name?

Regards,

Nicolas