easiest transition for a PHP website to move to Python?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Tue Feb 3 06:09:08 EST 2004

Dang Griffith <noemail at noemail4u.com> wrote in message news:<b6101cb47be16121be56796e45efd5d1 at news.teranews.com>...
> On 30 Jan 2004 17:02:30 -0800, llothar at web.de (Lothar Scholz) wrote:

> >http://zope-is-evil-666.idyll.org/
> >http://www.amk.ca/python/writing/why-not-zope.html
> >http://pywx.idyll.org/advocacy/why-not-zope.html
>
> I don't know Zope, so feel free to ignore my point, but those articles
> are nearly 4 years old.  While there might be other reasons, I
> wouldn't think old postings necessarily reflect the current version.

Whilst I think that some of the criticism is unfair, if somewhat
amusing in places, Zope does have a reputation as being a particularly
difficult beast for even the most ravenous python( expert)s to
swallow. In other words, it appears as a big system with lots of
unfamiliar techniques in use and, at least until modern times, not
that much documentation to help the uninitiated. That said, once you
get down to writing components, there are some good approaches in
common use which make the process both relatively easy and not so
different to how you would write applications in some of the other
frameworks.

It sometimes seems quite fashionable to trash Zope and hype Twisted,
for example, but the "maze of twisty passages" problem isn't exclusive
to Zope by any means.

Paul